Everyone, at some point in their life, would be mesmerized by that awesome lead guitar player in their favourite band who comes up with mind-blowing “wahs” and riffs on their electric guitar. Only a few, however, will actually take that step to learning to how to play electric guitar.
If you are one of those people who is taking this important step, you should be aware that playing the electric guitar is not that easy if you compare it with a simple acoustic. Not only do you need to know the parts of the guitar and how to play it, you should also determine which specific brand of instrument best fits your playing and the devices that should go with it.
1. Select the right guitar for you. When choosing an electric guitar, you should determine which specific type would best match your style and/or the genre of music that you will be playing. Do some research on good guitars in the market today. Read the reviews posted by fellow players so that you will see the pros and cons of each guitar.
It is also advisable to join forums. This way, you will be able to ask questions of your fellow guitarists in order to make the right choice. Don’t forget to buy an amplifier as well. It is ideal to buy an amp that is often paired with the guitar brand that you’ll be buying. Remember that an electric guitar is expensive, so that it is best that, right from the start, you buy the guitar that best matches you.
3. Familiarize yourself with the parts of the guitar and the amp. There are a number of resources on the Internet wherein you can learn the various parts of an electric guitar and amp and their function. Once you know how they are used, try strumming a few chords in order to familiarize yourself with how these parts work. For better playing, it is advisable to buy a guitar strap so that you can also play your guitar while standing.
4. Always start with the scales and chords. When it comes to playing any musical instrument, it is very important that you start with the basics. Learn the various scales and chords. There are easy tutorials which you can download on the Internet. By familiarizing yourself with these basics, you will be able to determine the nuances of your guitar’s sounds as well as master your hand techniques in pressing and strumming the strings. Make sure that you repeat the scales and chords so that you will be able to memorize them by ear.
5. Buy Guitar Lesson Books. There are so many great lessons books for electric guitar which you can buy at your local book or music store. As a beginner, never start with complicated songs. Always start with simple songs. Thankfully, these lesson books come in advancing levels. Make sure that you master the first level before proceeding to the next one.
6. Get Online Instruction. If you cannot afford a private tutor, you can check out the many websites online that offer guitar instruction. Some of these sites even have 24/7 service, so you can ask for help from an instructor if you happen to hit a snag in your lessons. You can also check out guitar tutorials on YouTube and Vimeo.
7. Practice Makes Perfect. As with any musical instrument, the only way that you can master the electric guitar is through constant practice. If you want to reach the level of skill that your favourite guitarist has attained, always allot an hour or two of your day to practice the basics as well as play a few songs.
You may want to check out our Tools and Website section to see the recommended guitar courses by Riffriff.com. If you have any questions or need any kind of help, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am more than willing to help you out.
Copyright © 2017 | MH Magazine WordPress Theme by MH Themes